Federal Interior Minister and Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Mohsin Naqvi met with Pakistan hockey team captain Imad Shakeel Butt in Lahore, where key issues concerning the revival of hockey and the players’ welfare were discussed. The meeting also delved into players’ welfare, rehabilitation needs, and long-standing logistical hurdles, to which Naqvi announced a cash reward of PKR one-million for each hockey player in recognition of their efforts and assured them of the government’s full support moving forward.
During the meeting, Butt congratulated Naqvi on being conferred with the Nishan-e-Imtiaz and highlighted the pressing challenges faced by the national hockey team, including participation in the upcoming Pro Hockey League and the broader revival of the sport in Pakistan.
“Our professional medical team at the PCB will handle the players’ medical and fitness cases to ensure they receive the highest level of care,” Naqvi said. He further pledged to resolve the team’s visa issues, a recurring obstacle for international participation, and directed the PCB’s logistics team to extend maximum facilitation to hockey players.
Naqvi stressed that reviving hockey, Pakistan’s national sport and a source of immense pride, was a priority. “The qualification of our national team for the Pro Hockey League is a matter of honor. I assure you that I will play my full role in ensuring their participation and in supporting the development of hockey across the country,” he remarked.
The meeting refelcted a renewed commitment to strengthening Pakistan’s hockey infrastructure, which has suffered neglect in recent decades despite the nation’s storied history of Olympic and World Cup triumphs. Naqvi assured that every possible measure would be taken to bring hockey back to its former glory, adding that the financial and logistical support announced on Monday was only the beginning.
The hockey captain, on behalf of the team, thanked Naqvi for his assurances and reiterated the players’ determination to bring pride to Pakistan on the international stage.
Earlier in July, the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) has contacted the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) and the International Hockey Federation (FIH) over security concerns for the national team’s planned tour of India for Asia Cup Hockey. PHF President Tariq Bugti said both bodies had been asked to outline safety measures for Pakistani players during their stay. He noted that players themselves have voiced reservations about travelling, but the final decision on participation rested with the Government of Pakistan.